Derby-Hall Bandstand

whatisthiscalled.jpg

Oyster Bay, NY

The Derby-Hall Bandstand, built in 1980, is an exact replica of one built in 1909 that served as the focal point for concerts and community events until it was taken down in the 1930’s and was used by Theodore Roosevelt to deliver a July 4th speech in 1916. It was named for one of Theodore Roosevelt’s daughters, Ethel Carow Roosevelt Derby, and Leonard W. Hall, a former Congressman and Mrs. Derby’s godson, who conceived the idea of reconstructing the bandstand.